DMMK Interviews with Clay Shirky
As part of an interview series for the 18th German Multimedia Congress (DMMK) I had the pleasure of talking to keynote speaker Clay Shirky. Clay Shirky teaches at the Interactive Telecommunications program at New York University and is a well known thought leader through his work.
Between other things, we talk about
- the research which resulted in his new book Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations
- his 5 word synopsis: Group action just got easier
- what are relevant participation patterns?
- developped world and the challenges for the newspaper industry and the challenges for society out of this
- why the product department should adopt these new tools, not marketing
- we are in the infancy of use of social tools in companies
- if old organisations will not catch up, startups will do the job for them
- not all of the real world will fall away, but we will focus on which tool is best for the task at hand
- the days of distinguishing online and offline are long gone
- Europe’s potential is the cognitive diversity
- why even looking at the every day phone usage in Europe is so much more advanced than ‘mobile’ in the US
- copy cat mode: how to (not) direct your energy and why digital media reduces the costs of failure and why this may change the attitude towards failure tolerance
- newspaper used to have a monopoly on public expression and this is gone now
- Take a good look at your customers! It will not wait for you to get ready for the changes
At the end of the interview he lists a set of questions which you should be asking yourself – and if you work through these it will help you to figure out what your next steps should be. :)
Want to spread the love? Why not tweet this? (click link)
- If you have a favourite quote to add to the shownotes, please leave a comment (or tweet and include ctbk097) with it
- Follow what others are saying using the tag “DMMK” on Twitter.
- Link for the podcast feed – if you subscribe in iTunes, be careful to adapt the settings to geht all episodes or you only will get one episode per day!