How To Set Up The Vanity Url For Your Facebook Fan Page
In addition to “Friends help Friends: Get more than 100 fans for your Facebook Fan page” I got some questions about how to get the special url up and running. Thus, a quick how-to.
Step 1: Plan your page
Since today Facebook Fan pages can have vanity urls too. Meaning instead of the ugly
you could have:
In order to set the Facebook vanity url for your fan page, there are several things which need to be in place first.
- You need to be admin of the page in question
- It seems you also may need a verified account
- You need to know which name you want for that page. Because once you have set it, you can never change it.
Facebook lists the following restrictions:
- Create a username that is as close as possible to your public figure or business name (e.g. AshtonKutcher, PizzaHut).
- If you own the rights to a given name, make it your username so that others cannot obtain it.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (“.”).
- Choose a username you will be happy with for the long term. Usernames are not transferable.
- Your username must adhere to Facebookâ€™s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
Step 2: Choose your vanity url
For choosing your pages url, visit http://www.facebook.com/username/. You will see something similar to this:
This means, that I have set my personal username and in the bottom you do find the “Set username for your pages”. Click on this and you will see a new selection:
Now, if my page for the Global Business Women had enough fans, I could now choose to enter a name for them and show you the rest. ;)
Step 3: Setting the URL
I will follow with more information once I have a page over 100 fans to check how this goes ;)
Further information from the help entry from Facebook:
If you wish to report that someoneâ€™s username infringes your rights, please fill out our username infringement form. The form is located here.
- I am an authorized representative for a public figure, brand or business and/or hold the rights to a trademark name. My username was claimed by another user. What can I do?
If you wish to report that someoneâ€™s username infringes your rights, please fill out our username IP infringement form.
- What is the process to request removal of an unauthorized Page of a public figure, brand or business?
If you wish to report that someoneâ€™s username infringes your rights, all you need to do is fill out our username IP infringement form here.
- Will usernames such as “flowers” or “pizza” ever be available for Facebook Pages? Can I sign up on a waiting list?
At this time, generic words are not available as usernames. Facebook encourages all users and Page administrators to create a username that closely matches the true identity of their name or business.