Reboot 9: Ben Blench
Ben Blench is an english man in Amsterdam, a linguist by trade but now a copywriter working at Media Catalyst.
His talk is “Newspeak – New technologies, new languages” and a grand unified theory of everything – or what do George Orwell, the Bible, Kraftwerk and ROFLCOPTERS have in common?
Ben and I talk about:
- language is the distinguishing factor that makes us unique as a species on planet earth
- what makes human language different from animal communication or what is the step above
- do programming languages count as languages?
- why there is a different me when he speaks another language
- why computers fail – they are not just words
- Scotty, “hello computer” and going to Star Trek Conventions
- why telepathy would work so much better than words
- pidgin english, international english and proper english or are there just “englishes”?
- when you learn a language, do you learn the culture too?
- his interest in other areas to connect and exchange ideas
- Book suggestion: Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct
[Link for the podcast feed – if you subscribe in itunes, be careful to adapt the settings or you only will get one episode per day!]